Embrace the smoothie movement
Ronnie Dawson | On 08, Oct 2013
This healthy version of a liquid diet has taken the world by storm with more and more people embracing smoothie cups, jars and even bowls.
Apart from being a fun way to experiment in the kitchen, the smoothie connoisseurs have us creating all sorts of delicious and decadent meals in smoothie form with countless health benefits.
Open up Instagram and check out these amazing accounts for some smoothie inspiration:
Also, donâ€™t be shy to jump on the hashtag bandwagon.
So, why smoothies?
Theyâ€™re a great way toâ€¦
1. Make sure you stay hydrated in the warmer months by using a liquid base such a coconut water.
2. Retain the vitamins and minerals from raw fruits and vegetables, some of which may otherwise be filtered out during the juicing process.
3. Get the nutritional benefits from foods like spinach, kale and spirulina which you may not like to eat on their own, but are masked by delicious other flavours in the smoothie.
4. Get fibre and potassium into your body, by adding fruits as well as small amounts of ingredients like chia seeds and macha powder youâ€™ll be taking in protein, omega3, and fibre which will help with overall health and improvements in your digestive system.
5. Stay fuller for longer by adding in protein powder or a natural ingredient high in protein (such as nuts) and the smoothie will curb your appetite and cravings so you donâ€™t feel like snacking as often or on unhealthy foods.
I decided to create some easy and delicious smoothies to share with you all. Don’t worry, I’ve done the taste test myself and you have my word that the following smoothies are delicious, filling and healthy!
Berry banana smoothie
1 small banana
1 cup of baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup almond milk
Sprinkle of chia seeds
Blend all ingredients together in a food processor, sprinkle with chia seeds, and enjoy!
Decadent choc banana smoothie
150ml coconut milk
1tsp raw cacao powder
Blend all ingredients together in a food processor, sprinkle with coconut chips and cacao nibs and enjoy!