Give a green gift this Christmas
Laura Walkley | On 25, Nov 2013
Do you have an organic obsessed, environmentally friendly, fair-trade and cruelty-free enthusiast, vegan loved one? Well look no further when deciding on their Christmas present- I have plenty of ideas for you.
1. Biome eco stores:Â Your one stop shop for eco friendly products, from beauty products to books and everything in between. Biome has an online store and three Brisbane stores located in the CBD, Paddington and Milton. All of Biomeâ€™s products are vegan, cruelty-free and Made in Australia, making gift giving good for your conscience.
2. Etsy:Â Buy your indie friends a vintage, recycled or handmade gift from Etsy. The unique online store allows people around the world to connect to buy and sell items to build a more fulfilling and lasting world. It’s like eBay for environment enthusiasts.
3. Lush: Although you can shop online for Lush presents, you might want to head to your local shopping centre to pick out a gift if you live in Australia. The smell -and testers- will make the visit worthwhile. Lush offers cruelty-free, ethically and locally made, recycled beauty products. From coconut shampoos to charcoal cleansers, you can find a great gift idea for boys and girls of all ages. Purchase five Lush products and if you return the bottles to the store for recycling you will receive a free face-mask.
4. butter LONDON:Â Donâ€™t buy OPI this Christmas. butter LONDON is one of the only popular nail polishes on the market that doesnâ€™t contain the toxic trio. They are formulated without harmful ingredients like Formaldehyde, Toluene and DBP which have been associated with cancer, birth defects, reparatory problems and the list goes on. A good lesson here – remember to research the chemicals in beauty products before buying them as gifts.
5. The Body Shop: A Christmas probably hasnâ€™t gone by where you havenâ€™t received a mango body butter from The Body Shop. But I doubt youâ€™re complaining. The Body Shop ensures its products arenâ€™t tested on animals, support community fair trade and protect the planet. Online or in-store, I guarantee you will find your special someone a gift that will make them smell great for the rest of the year.
6. eReader or eBook:Â Buy an eReader or eBook as a gift and save the environment by minimising paper consumption. Amazon makes it as easy as clicking a button to deliver an eBook straight to a loved ones Kindle. If you enjoy the feeling of reading an actual book, a Kindle is as close as it gets with a paper-like quality to the screen. Theyâ€™re also great for parents/grandparents with bad eyesight as you can change the font size.
Before buying a gift this year, think about where it was made, what it contains and how it might benefit the community or the world around you. You can make a world of difference by giving to more than just the receiver.