Lemon yoghurt cakes
Alicia Moo | On 31, Aug 2013
When life gives you lemons, make cake!
How can we define what makes a good cake?
For me it is simple: one bite and you already know you want seconds.
This, so crazy easy lemon yoghurt cake will indeed have you going for thirds.
No mess, no fuss, hand mix it all together and that’s a wrap.
The addition of yoghurt makes it beautifully soft, light and the best part, even if you overcook it a little, it should stay moist.
Lemon Yoghurt Cakes
Makes 24 cupcakes or one 20cm cake
1Â¾ cups caster sugar
Â¾ cup olive oil (you can substitute with other oils: e.g. rice bran and vegetable)
1 (generous) cup of all natural yoghurt or greek yoghurt
Generous pinch of salt
2 cups self-raising flour
Zest of 2 lemons
Juice of one lemon
1. Preheat oven to 180Â°C
2. In a medium size bowl mix the eggs, sugar, zest and oil with a fork until combined
3. Add the yoghurt, lemon juice, salt and sift in flour and stir until well combined
4. Evenly spoon into prepared paper cups
5. Bake for approximately 20 minutes (check around 15 minutes) if skewer comes out clean they are done
(For a 20cm cake bake for approx. 30-40 minutes)
6. Leave to cool on wire racks
7. Dust with icing sugar to serve
If you want to put a little more effort in, you could also top with a tangy lemon curd.
Tip:When zesting any citrus fruit, only zest the first layer, do not get down to the white bits as they will add a bitterness to your cake.
When you’ve got this no nonsense recipe to follow, there should be no excuses left, so go forth and buy some lemons.