Moonlight Cinema, Everything You Need To Know
Peta Barker | On 07, Jan 2015
Over the past few years Moonlight Cinema at New Farm’s The Powerhouse has established itself as a summertime favourite activity. We tested it out to give you the low down on the open air cinema.
Screening all the new release blockbusters, advanced screenings as well as cult classic films, Dirty Dancing on Thursday night is sure to be a popular, the Moonlight Cinema is just like your local cinema, only 10 times better. Ticket prices are very similar to most local cinemas, though I would argue this experience far out does the dark, salty smellingÂ shopping centre theatres.
Forget dinner and a movie, you can do them at the same time, all whilst under the stars! A food and drinks van on site sells a variety of American inspired cuisine as well as alcoholic and soft drinks and cinema favourite sweets, though at a steep price. The Pulled Pork Brisket Burger, $14 and fries, $7 were tasty and a great addition to the outdoor cinema experience, though I’d give the $18 nachos a miss. If you are a bit short on cash BYOingÂ dinner, drinks or snacks is completely acceptable. In fact everyone seems to BYO just about anything, from bean bags to cushions to quilts to cheese platters! A smart idea to avoid the $9 bean big hire, which oddly is EFTPOS only.
Once you are all set up with your nibbles and bean bags you can kick bag on the grass and enjoy the sun setting before the movie begins. The designated lawn for the cinema is spacious with everyone having ample space and no screen views inhibited. Join in with the community vibe of this outdoor cinema by clapping, laughing and awwing out loud.
With a limited season, until the end of February, don’t miss out on this unique experience. The perfect activity for families, a group of friends to catch up and for young and old lovers. My Tip would be to purchase tickets online in advance, as well asÂ arriving an hour before the movie starts, when the gates open to get the best spot, set up and relax with plenty of time to chat before the movie begins.
What to bring:
- A picnic rug- grass can be itchy!
- Bean bags or cushions to relax on.
- Blanket- The night can cool down, getting a touch chilly.
- Dinner- Pick up a pizza on the way, burgers from New Farm’s Da’Burger or fill a picnic basket at the James St Market and Jocelyn’s Provisions on the way through.
- Drinks- Make sure you come equipped with plenty of water and your soft drink of choice.
- Snacks- If you are a late dinner kind of person just bring something to nibble on, especially if paying $6.90 for a packet of M&M’s isn’t your style.
- Wear something comfortable, after all you are going to be lounging around on the grass!
What Moonlight Cinema
Where The Powerhouse Lawn, New Farm
Price Children & Seniors $12.50, Concession $14, Adult $17 plus a $1 booking fee
When Wednesday to Sunday nights until February 22
More Information including the film program and ticket purchaseÂ head to the official Moonlight Cinema website